Student Information for the Unique Student Identifier
From 1 January 2015 if you are undertaking nationally recognised training delivered by a registered training organisation you will need to have a Unique Student Identifier (USI). This includes studying at TAFE or with a private training organisation, completing an apprenticeship or skill set, certificate or diploma course. The USI gives you access to your online USI account which is made up of ten numbers and letters.
It will look something like this:
Why is the USI important?
A USI account will contain all your nationally recognised training records and results from 1 January 2015 onwards. Your results from 2015 will be available in your USI account in 2016. When applying for a job or enrolling in further study, you will often need to provide your training records and results. One of the main benefits of the USI is that you will have easy access to your training records and results throughout your life. You can access your USI account online from a computer, tablet or smart phone anywhere and anytime.
If you are a continuing student who has already started your course in a previous year (and not yet completed it) and intend studying after 1 January 2015, you still must get a USI. Once you create your USI you will need to give your USI to each training organisation you study with so your training outcomes can be linked.
Your USI account will allow you to:
- view and update your details in your USI account;
- give your training organisation permission to view and/or update your USI account;
- give your training organisation view access to your transcript;
- control access to your transcript; and
- view online and download your training records and results in the form of a transcript which will help you with job applications and enrolment in further training.
Do I need a USI?
You require a USI to enrol or re-enrol in training from 1 January 2015 if you are a:
- student enrolling in nationally recognised training for the first time, for example if you are studying at TAFE or with a private training organisation, completing an apprenticeship or skill set, certificate or diploma course;
- school student completing nationally recognised training; or
- student continuing with nationally recognised training.
How do I get one?
It is free and easy for you to create your own USI online. While you may create your own USI, training organisations are also able to create a USI for you. Training organisations should do this as part of the enrolment process when you begin studying. Where this service is provided, training organisations will let you know.
What do I need?
Have at least one and preferably two forms of ID ready from the list below:
- Driver’s Licence
- Medicare Card
- Australian Passport
- Visa (with Non-Australian Passport) for international students
- Birth Certificate (Australian)
- Certificate Of Registration By Descent
- Citizenship Certificate
- Immi Card
If you do not have proof of ID from the list above, you can contact your training organisation about the other forms of ID they can accept to help you get a USI.
Have your personal contact details ready (e.g. email address, or mobile number, or address).
Visit the USI website at: usi.gov.au. and select I need or have a USI (left box) then select I want to create a USI and follow the instructions.
You should write down the USI and keep it somewhere handy and safe.
To make sure all of your training records are together, the USI will be linked to your name as it appears on the form of ID you used to create the USI. The personal details entered when you create a USI must match exactly with those on your form of ID.